Saturday, April 3, 2010

Eating in when you're out

People often ask me about how difficult it is to eat out as a vegan. To be perfectly honest, it can be pretty darn hard! Restaurants, snack bars, lunch carts, vending machines, etc. are not very kind to the vegans of the world.



All kidding aside, most places are unaware of the animal ingredients they're using, and therefore they have few (if any) vegan options. There are a couple of places at which I feel comfortable eating, but I generally just prepare all of my food at home, package it in serving-size portions, and truck it with me everywhere. If I made it, I know what's in it, and that puts my mind at ease. It also means that I always have food on me! At any given time, I can usually pull about 500 calories worth of food out of my purse!

Take today, for example. It's a Saturday, so I'm sitting at the reference desk in the law library from 10 AM to 6 PM, with an hour long lunch break in the middle. I showed up with this beautiful mountain of goodies.



Yes, it's a lot of food. I like to eat every 2-3 hours, and I like to consume a large majority of my daily calories by the time I get out of here at 6 PM. This mountain you're looking at amounts to about 1,315 calories and accounts for my breakfast, pre-run carb-up, post-run refuel, post-refuel refuel, and two snacks. Not pictured is my dinner of quinoa and veggies, which adds in another 250 calories.

Why do I have pre-run and post-run foods at work? I run on my lunch break. I have a deep-set, philosophical problem with getting out of bed earlier than necessary to run before work on a Saturday, so I just run mid-day and then eat all my meals/snacks at my desk!



My darlin' and I are going to my parents' house for Easter tomorrow, so there will probably be no blogging. See you on Monday! Hope you all have fabulous weekends!

1 comment:

  1. Remember most сustomerѕ ρrefeг businеss that
    you bring your own device. Wе іntend to seρaratе οurѕelves frоm the comρetitіon.


    Feel free to surf to my website ... arizona internet marketing

    ReplyDelete