Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Back on track

Yay! Today I (mostly) stuck to my plan! Good eating + good exercising = a good day for me. I ate my usual soy yogurt pre-run, then post-run I had a delicious 1/2 a cantaloupe, 1 cup of soy milk, and 2 tablespoons chocolate chips, sticking to the oh-so-important post-exercise nutrient calculus. For lunch I had my favorite green smoothie:

--2 scoops Sun Warrior raw rice protein powder
--1 cup frozen mixed fruit (I buy a bagged mix of peaches, mangos, strawberries, pineapple, and grapes)
--1/2 cup frozen blueberries
--1/2 a frozen banana
--1/4 of a bag of spinach (2.5 oz)



We vegans have trouble getting our protein sometimes, especially when we're pursuing vigorous workout schedules. Athletes, daily, need roughly a half-gram of protein for every pound of body weight (Sound familiar? It's the same number of grams of carbs you need immediately after an intense workout!). So, a 140 lb athlete needs roughly 70g of protein per day. Some sources say vegetarians and vegans need to up that number by 10% because vegetable-based proteins are not always as well-absorbed in the body as animal proteins, but the jury's still out on whether that's true. I stick to the half-gram rule, myself. (Scroll down to the middle of this article if you're interested in more information about the protein absorption issue.)

I also had a Vitamin Water during yoga and spinning to keep my blood-sugar up, and I had two salads for dinner. I had a cabbage and apple salad with agave-mustard dressing, and a bit later I had a spinach salad with mushrooms marinated in homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Now, I'm snacking on some raisins. YUM!



Exercise was good today, too. I did a 3-mile run this morning and a 7-mile spin this afternoon. I would have biked further, but I had a 75-minute yoga class in between those two activities, and it was killer! We focused on twists and balance poses, and it just about pulverized my quads. I really want to be able to do two full triathalon events each day, but I'm not quite there yet.

Baby steps, Ali! Baby steps!

No comments:

Post a Comment